Events & Camps
Each year, the KU School of Engineering hosts several events, camps and programs that let students of all ages and their teachers explore the possibilities of engineering.
Whether you're trying to find out if engineering is a good career choice for you, or if you want to get a taste for life at KU, there's a KU School of Engineering event or camp for you.
Session 1: July 8-13, 2018
Session 2: July 15-20, 2018
Project Discovery, is a week long, residential, intensive learning camp for high school students (grades 9-12 in fall 2018). Campers choose from different engineering disciplines and work closely with KU faculty and graduate students as they complete a hands-on project. Held on KU’s Lawrence campus, students will get an up-close view of KU and the School of Engineering classrooms and labs.
Camp Experience: Each morning campers will learn about a field of engineering through lectures and laboratory tours. After lunch, campers will make their way back to the engineering complex to design, test and build various hands-on projects. Evenings at camp are filled with activities, competitions, and chances to unwind. Get more information.
- $750.00 (Kansas residents)
- $995.00 (out-of-state US residents)
- Online application
- A letter from a high school counselor or teacher stating that the student is participating in the free or reduced price lunch program at the high school of attendance OR a brief statement from the parent/guardian explaining the basis of the financial need.
- A high school transcript reflecting a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- A one page written essay from the student explaining why they are interested in attending the camp and how the experience would be of benefit to them.
KU Engineering's Explore @ Blue Valley CAPS
June 25 - 29, 2018, 9am - 3pm
- Location: Blue Valley Center for Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS) in Overland Park, KS
- For: Students entering grades 7 & 8 in Fall 2018
- Cost: $275.00
Students will learn about engineering through hands-on activities designed to make them think creatively and use problem solving skills. Campers will also experience the KU campus during a field trip to the School of Engineering labs and classrooms.
Space is limited so sign-up early!
Questions? Contact: email@example.com
- Located on the KU Edwards or Lawrence Campuses
- For students entering grades 6-9 in Fall 2018
- Campers who would like to stay all day for both camps may bring their lunches and eat in a supervised area between 12:00pm and 12:30pm.
|KU Edwards Campus, Overland Park|
|8:00am – 12:00pm||12:30pm – 4:30pm|
| June 4 – 8
|Outside the Box
Problem solving camp
|June 11 – 15||Science of Spycraft
|June 18 – 22||Proteins by Design
|June 25 – 29||girls.code
Girls' computer science camp
|Get Your Game On
|KU Lawrence Campus|
|8:00am – 12:00pm||12:30pm – 4:30pm|
|June 18 – 22||Go Green for Kansas!
Environmental science camp
|Imagine... Design… MAKE!
|July 23 – 27||Explore @ Lawrence: The Big Five
|May the Force Be With You
|She’s an Engineer
Girls engineering camp
Get additional information about Engineering Expo.
Get more information.
Here are the highlights from the 2014 High School Design Competition, which offered students the opportunities to take part in two competitions: To the Moon and Back and a Lego Mindstorm competition.
The School of Engineering offers opportunities for prospective students to tour our facilities, meet with departmental representatives, and talk with current engineering students.
Academic Showcase: Engineering Career Night
September 14, 2017 | Black & Veatch World Headquarters
Academic Showcase is an evening with the School of Engineering and Black & Veatch about the rewarding careers and opportunities in engineering.
Engineering Undergraduate Open House
September 30, 2017 | KU School of Engineering
Engineering Undergraduate Open House is an opportunity for prospective students and their families to explore the KU School of Engineering. There will be departmental information sessions that explore our degree programs and career opportunities, tours of the engineering facilities and other events designed to showcase all the exciting things happening on our campus. Information and registration for Open House will be available in mid-late August 2017. For more information, contact Kathryn Silvers.