Frequently Asked Questions

How many times a year do you accept students?
The University of Kansas School of Engineering accepts students for Fall and Spring semesters, as well as the Summer term. Most students begin graduate study in the fall. Applicants may defer admission for up to one year with the approval of the graduate program.
Do you have conditional admission?
No. Only completed applications are reviewed for admission. International students may apply directly to the Applied English Center (AEC) while they are preparing their application materials for a graduate program, if they are able to obtain the appropriate international travel documents to do so. Students who pursue this option must still be admitted into a degree-seeking graduate program after enrolling at the AEC. Admittance to the AEC does not guarantee admission into a degree-seeking graduate program.
What is the application deadline for admission?
Application deadlines vary by department. Students seeking financial assistance should apply by December 15 for the following fall and September 30 for the following spring term. Preference for financial aid is given to fall applicants.
What should I submit with my application?
Applications should be submitted online through the Office of Graduate Studies, which is an administrative body that serves the entire university. The online application requires a $55 (domestic) or $75 (international) nonrefundable fee and should be accompanied by official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work, and three letters of recommendation. GRE scores are required by some departments; international students must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Applicants should contact their chosen department before applying to inquire about specific departmental application materials.
What are the minimum GRE and TOEFL scores?
GRE requirements vary by department. Students should contact their chosen department or program before applying to obtain the minimum acceptable GRE score. Visit the Graduate Studies website for more information on English proficiency requirements. Test preparation materials for the GRE and TOEFL exam are available on the Educational Testing Services website; students may also take courses from KU's Continuing Education.
How long are my scores good?
TOEFL scores must have been earned no more than two years before a student’s semester of admission. GRE scores must have been earned no more than five years before a student’s semester of admission.
Is there a minimum acceptable undergraduate GPA?
Generally, students accepted to the KU School of Engineering Graduate Programs must have an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Can I get an advanced degree in engineering if my bachelor’s degree is in another field?
A student with good preparation in such fields as mathematics, chemistry, physics, or a related science field may be admitted on the basis of performance in specific undergraduate courses, which are determined by the department that the student wishes to enter. Depending upon the program, students may need to consider enrolling in an undergraduate degree program, or as a non-degree seeking student to complete certain prerequisite undergraduate engineering courses.
Are translations of foreign language transcripts required?
Yes. Foreign language transcripts provided without a translation will not be accepted.
What is the cost of attendance for a graduate student?
Tuition and fees vary by academic school and campus. To find an estimated cost of attendance utilize KU's tuition and fees calculator.
Are there scholarships and fellowships available to help fund my study?
Students generally fund their graduate study through a combination of sources: School of Engineering scholarships and fellowships, departmental scholarships and fellowships, Graduate Teaching and/or Research Assistantships (GTA's and GRA's), Graduate Studies scholarships and fellowships, and loans. School of Engineering scholarships and fellowships are merit based and awarded on a highly competitive basis. Students should contact their departments for information about GTA/GRA positions and departmental awards.
How long does the program take to complete?
If you enroll full-time, defined as nine hours per semester, you could complete a Master’s degree in two years. Normal expectations are that students will complete a Master’s degree in no less than two years of full-time study. Students have a time limit of seven years for completion of all degree requirements. Ph.D. students can complete a degree in five years, which may include time spent earning a Master’s degree, if the Master’s is required for your program of study. Ph.D. students have a time limit of eight years for completion of all degree requirements.
I've taken some graduate courses outside KU. Can I transfer those credits?
If the department approves, six hours of graduate coursework taken at a regionally-accredited graduate school may be transferred and applied to a program that leads to one of the Master’s degrees. Eight hours may be approved for transfer if the student holds a baccalaureate degree from KU. Only work graded at 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale may be approved for transfer; courses that have been graded B- do not transfer.
Can I establish residency in Kansas?
In general, you qualify for resident rates if you meet three basic criteria: (1) continuous physical residence in Kansas, (2) reliance on Kansas sources of support to meet living expenses, and (3) demonstrated intent to make Kansas your permanent home indefinitely and that you are residing in the state for purposes other than just educational. You must meet these criteria for 365 days before the first day of the semester in which you wish to pay resident rates. More information about establishing residency can be found in the Graduate Catalog.
Can I work and go to school?
Many programs offer part-time degree options designed for working professionals.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times