The most up-to-date tuition information is available on the Tuition and Fees Page.
Students interested in taking courses at the Edwards Campus in Overland Park may view their rates on the Edwards Campus page.
A variety of scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships are available to graduate students through the School of Engineering , KU, and outside sources. The KU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships offers a helpful calculator to estimate costs and search for scholarships.
We offer Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) and Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA) to eligible students. Appointments to these assistantships varies by department, as do the funding level.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantships: Teaching Assistantships may be available to students through individual departments, either in engineering or outside of engineering. Appointments and stipends vary among academic departments, and application for appointment as a teaching assistant should be made directly to the department concerned. Depending on the level of appointment, the University pays all or some of a GTA's tuition, including any differential tuition assessed.
- Graduate Research Assistantships: Research Assistantships are available to graduate students through grants from state-appropriated research funds and from federal and private agencies. Stipends vary among academic departments. Those granted research assistantships are eligible to pay tuition at the in-state rate.
School of Engineering Scholarships and Fellowships for First Year Graduate Students
Scholarships and fellowships are awards based either on academic merit alone, or on academic merit and financial need. Awards are applied directly to a student's tuition and fees. Typically, funds left over after disbursements are made are returned to the student in the form of a check (or direct deposit into a bank account).
School of Engineering scholarships and fellowships for incoming graduate students are awarded on a competitive basis. Award considerations include the applicant's academic performance (GPA), personal statement, scores on achievement tests, letters of recommendation, evidence of involvement in and commitment to the engineering profession, and an individual's record of scholarly activities. There is no separate application process for these awards. Students are automatically considered when a complete application is submitted. Each department nominates qualified graduate students. Awards are generally allocated in March.
Incoming and current students may also qualify for the following KU and external scholarships and fellowships.
- Engineering Graduate Ambassador Fellowship, deadline: end of March each year
- Madison and Lila Self Graduate Fellowship, deadline: students are nominated for this fellowship, departmental deadline is normally late January or early February
- Graduate Studies Fellowships and Scholarships, deadline: varies, check the link provided for details
- Graduate Engineering Association (GEA) Student Travel Funding
Funding from Engineering Departments
Individual programs or departments may offer funding opportunities for graduate students. Links to information about program/departmental funding are below.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
- Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering
Funding from KU Offices
Many departments and offices across the university offer scholarships to students. This is not a comprehensive list. Links to information about these scholarships are below.
Outside Funding Opportunities Scholarship/Fellowship Opportunities for Current Graduate Students
- Department of Energy Fellowship, deadline varies: check the link provided
- SMART Scholarship, deadline: December 14
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Fellowship, deadline: December 26
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grants & Funding, deadline varies: check the link provided
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG), deadline: December 12
- GEM Fellowship
- American Association of University Women
- American Society of Naval Engineers Scholarship
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- Electrochemical Society Summer Fellowships
- Environmental Protection Agency P3 Awards
- Environmental Public Policy and Conflict Resolution PhD
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs
- GEM Fellowship Program
- Geological Society of America Research Grants
- Goldwater Science Scholarships
- Hertz Fellowship
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- James B. Pearson Fellowship
- Marshall Scholarships
- NASA Aeronautics Scholarship Program
- NASA Graduate Research Fellowship
- NASA Harriet Jenkins Pre-doctoral Fellowship Project
- NASA Space Technology Research Fellowships
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
- National Physical Science Consortium (NPSC) Fellowship
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Fellowships
- Pathways to Science STEM Resources for Graduate Students
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Robert E. Thunen Memorial Scholarship
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Pre-doctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for MD/PhD Fellowships
- Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation Defense Scholarship for Research Program (SMART)
- Sloan Fellowship
- The Raymond Davis Scholarship
- The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Graduate Scholarship
- U.S. Department of Energy Global Change Program (GREF)
- Vertical Flight Foundation Scholarship
- Whitaker Foundation Graduate Fellowships in Biomedical Engineering