Advising & Enrollment Policies

Have questions about advising or enrollment in the School of Engineering? Check out these frequently asked questions.

General Questions

Please visit frequently used forms in the School of Engineering to change your major. This is approved and edited by staff in the Dean's Office.

School level undergraduate academic services staff in the Dean's Office can help you. If you have a situation where you need School approval like the FacEx Petition or schedule change forms, please visit Alex Pang in 1415 LEEP2. Contact Alex Pang to see what is required for your specific situation.

Per Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations, students must take their last 30 hours in residency at KU. Though, students may petition their dean for a waiver of this rule. 

If you are planning to transfer a course into KU during your last 30 hours, please submit a 30-Hour Requirement Exception Form before you plan to take the class outside of KU. This form is routed to the School of Engineering Dean for approval.

No, you must meet with your advisor every semester to have your Engineering Advising Hold removed. The advising hold ensures you stay on track in your engineering degree and meet all degree requirements.

All advising notes are located in Jayhawk GPS. Click on “reports” and expand meeting notes to see the details of your advising meeting.

Contact the Engineering Career Center for career, internship, and job resources and services.

Undergraduate Academic Policies

The Schedule of Classes for each upcoming semester is typically released at the end of March for summer and fall, and at the end of September for spring. Students can use the Schedule Builder to figure out their semester schedule.

Current KU students enroll for their courses twice per academic year. Enrollment for the spring term begins in late October; enrollment for the summer and fall terms begins in late March. Students planning to enroll will first need to meet with an academic advisor to have their Engineering Advising Hold (EAH) released.

Students are given an enrollment time that comes via email from the Office of the University Registrar each semester. Your enrollment time is based on the number of hours you have completed. Enrollment appointments are scheduled on a staggered basis based on your academic level; generally, seniors are first, then juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen. You have up until the start of the next semester to make changes to your schedule, but remember, classes will fill up quickly. 

In Enroll & Pay, students can check their Student Services Center to see when their “enrollment appointment” is scheduled. Logon to Enroll & Pay with your KU online ID and password. Click on the Enrollment Dates link below the Student Center menu. This is the time the Registrar allows you to enroll in your classes. You can also access hold information that has been placed on your record. Any holds (advising, parking, library, immunization, etc.) will need to be cleared before you will be permitted to enroll. Typically, enrollment for the upcoming spring semester begins right after Fall Break, and enrollment for upcoming fall courses is right after Spring Break. 

The School of Engineering has a mandatory advising policy. This means that you are required to meet with your academic advisor each semester before you are allowed to enroll in classes. The School of Engineering requires advising each semester to ensure you stay on track for graduation.

All engineering students receive a “No Drop Hold” which prevents them from dropping classes online on Enroll & Pay. The School of Engineering Dean’s Office places this hold on engineering students to prevent them from rashly dropping a class without speaking to their advisor first. If a student does need to drop a class, they need to visit their advisor and fill out a Schedule Change Form. This form is sent to the Dean's Office electronically to be approved. Then, the Registrar's office withdraws the student from the class and the “No Drop Hold” remains all semester.

A credit/no credit option is available to degree-seeking undergraduates depending on their academic program. Where permitted, engineering students may enroll in one course per semester under the option. Specifically required courses (such as calculus or physics) may not be taken credit/no credit. If an engineering department requires that certain coursework be used to fulfill any of their degree requirements, those courses shall not be eligible for credit/no credit.

Aerospace, architectural, chemical, and civil engineering do not accept credit/no credit. This is not an option for any credits counting towards the degree.

In EECS majors, any mathematics, science, engineering, or Core 34: English course that is required for an EECS degree cannot be taken for credit/no credit.

In engineering physics, mechanical, and petroleum engineering, any mathematics, science, or engineering course that is required for the engineering degree cannot be taken for credit/no credit.

For more information, visit the KU Policy Library. Always check with your academic advisor before electing credit/no credit, as policies vary from department to department.

If you are wanting to take a course over the summer at a different institution, you first need to identify the course you want to take and where you want to take it. Then, you’ll want to use CredTran to see if the course is accepted. If an equivalent KU course is listed, it will transfer to KU. If an equivalent KU course is not listed, or if you aren’t sure, contact your academic advisor.

If you want to complete a transfer course during the last 30 credit hours of your degree, you must submit a Request for Exception to the 30-Hour Residency Policy. After you’ve completed the course, you need to have your official transcript sent to KU’s Office of the University Registrar to ensure the courses transfer successfully.

Undergraduate engineering students with grade-point averages of 3.75 who have completed at least 14 graded hours are recognized on the Dean's List or University Honor Roll in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript. For more information, read the Undergraduate University Regulations for the School of Engineering.