The KU School of Engineering awards scholarships to entering freshman and continuing undergraduate students. This is on top of offers from the University. This support is made possible through generous donations from successful alumni and friends of the school who want to ensure others have access to the same great opportunities they had here.
All students are STRONGLY encouraged to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year by December 1st to ensure they are considered for all scholarship aid for which they are eligible.
First time, domestic students applying for admission to the School of Engineering will be considered for scholarships if they apply to the School of Engineering by December 1st and submit a high school transcript. KU’s Undergraduate Application for Admission also serves as the School of Engineering scholarship application. No additional forms need to be submitted unless applying also for the Self Engineering Leadership Fellows Program or the FIRST Robotics Scholarship.
Prospective engineering students who are offered scholarships will receive a letter detailing their total scholarship package from the University and the School of Engineering. The combined scholarship letter documents the student’s award for the coming academic year as well as the projected amount over four years provided the student meets the requirements for maintaining their scholarship funding.
If ACT/SAT tests are taken more than once, the highest scores will be used for engineering scholarship consideration. The December test date is the last score that will be used. Students submitting test scores after the December test date may be re-evaluated by the School of Engineering on a case-by-case basis depending on available funds at that time.
All grade point averages are converted to an unweighted 4.0 scale so every prospective student has the same opportunity for consideration. High school transcripts must be submitted by February 1st.
Visit KU Financial Aid & Scholarships for additional scholarship and financial aid information.
Freshman scholarships are automatically renewed each semester provided students meet the renewal criteria as stated below:
- Maintain a cumulative 3.25 KU grade point average
- Enroll full-time each semester
- Complete at least 27 KU credit hours each academic year
- Make progress toward an engineering degree by following the four-year curriculum guidelines for a student's declared engineering degree program
Some scholarship funds have specific award criteria. To help us process your scholarship renewal and identify you for future scholarships, please complete the Scholarship Interest Form.
Diversity Program Scholarships
Please refer to the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging scholarship page for scholarship information.
Continuing and Transfer Students
Currently enrolled KU engineering students can apply for a few specific engineering scholarships such as Ambassador or Study Abroad. Submission deadlines for these applications are typically in mid-March. Please watch for these scholarship announcements in the weekly Engineering Newsletter.
Students transferring from the junior college system into the KU School of Engineering may be eligible for the Hill Memorial Scholarship for junior college transfers. The submission deadline is May 1st.
Students in the US Armed Services may be eligible for the Edward R. Cheramy Memorial Scholarship. The submission deadline is May 1st.
There may be additional opportunities for scholarships for continuing students at the department level. Please contact your department directly for potential additional funding if available.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
- Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering
These are scholarships that are not awarded by KU.
- AfterCollege Student Scholarships
- ACEC Scholarships deadline March 18, 2022
- AmericanMuscle Student Scholarship deadline October 15 and June 15
- American Society of Professional Estimators deadline February 9, 2022
- BioKansas Professional Development Award deadline October 2022
- Creative Biolabs Scholarship Program deadline September 2022
- ExtremeTerrain Student Scholarship deadline October 2022
- Goldwater Scholarship
- Google Student Scholarships deadline varies
- Honeywell Women in Engineering Scholarships deadline March 1, 2022
- Kurz Industrial Solutions Wind Energy Scholarship Fund
- The James and Catherine Lardner Scholarship deadline January 31, 2022
- Pro TIG Welders Scholarship deadline July 2022
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers Scholarship deadline April 2022
- Society of Women Engineers Scholarships
- The Website Study Academic Scholarships deadline September 2022
- Veteran Car Donations Annual Scholarship deadline August 2022
- Charles Wagner Memorial Scholarship deadline July 2022