Graduation Information

Undergraduate graduation ceremony

Graduation requirements are different at each degree level (Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees). Students are encouraged to talk to their academic advisor when they are ready to complete any milestone in their academic career. The School of Engineering Dean’s staff, in cooperation with departmental staff, is responsible for processing graduation each semester and coordinates the Engineering Recognition Ceremony in the fall and spring.

All Students should refer to KU’s Academic Catalog to review degree requirements for their program and the Academic Calendar to be sure they meet posted deadlines for graduation requirements. Students who wish to have a graduation check in the semester prior to their degree completion can call the Engineering Student Success office at 785-864-3881 to make a graduation check appointment. 

When a student is ready to graduate, they have some tasks to complete:

  1. Apply for graduation. The deadline to apply for May graduation is March 1. This document walks you through the online process (PDF).
  2. RSVP for the School of Engineering winter (December) or spring (May) graduation ceremony, if you intend to "walk" in that ceremony.
  3. If walking, make arrangements for any regalia you need. Students cannot participate in any KU graduation ceremony without regalia.
  4. Complete all remaining academic requirements satisfactorily. Students will not graduate until all requirements are met. 

Diplomas are provided to students who have met all graduation requirements by the stated deadlines. When students complete the Application for Graduation, they are given the option to have the diploma mailed to them or pick it up in person. Further information about obtaining your diploma can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s webpage.

If you require proof of degree prior to your diploma becoming available, you may request a Statement of Forthcoming Degree. The Statement of Forthcoming Degree is an official document from the University of Kansas verifying that all degree requirements have been met, though the degree has not yet been conferred.  Once you fill out the Statement of Forthcoming Degree Form,visit the Engineering Student Success Office in 1415 LEEP to request the necessary endorsements before submitting the form to the Registrar's Office. There is a charge for this form. Students will be billed through Enroll & Pay.